Sunday, July 20, 2008

Web 2.0: New Tools, New Schools, Chapter 8

For the chapter of my choice in Web 2.0: New Tools, New Schools, I decided to read Chapter 8: Systemic Issues. The reason is my school, Kincaid Elementary, has three classes of intensive needs student, students with other learning disabilities, and some ESL students. I wanted to see what the text covered concerning these students.


I was aware of the assistive technology that is available and may be required for students with special needs. I did like it provided some resources that may be used such as Voycabulary (http://www.voycabulary.com), which allows students to get instant definition for words they do not know. It also addresses touch screens, handhelds for those with visual problems, and a switch pod for students with quadriplegia. While reading this section I was thinking about the one special needs teacher who requested special keyboards for the three classes that are less breakable and have larger, colorful keys than standard keyboards. She did this at the end of the year when we were having a wrap-up technology team meeting. I hope her request is met early in the new school year.


I thought the ideas for English Language Learners and English as a Second Language students were great. Blogging helps students with reading and writing and they are able to get feedback from peers, not just teachers. A “learning community” could be created where that community has a blog of its own. Members could post questions and concerns to be answered, discuss common interests, and connect with others throughout the world (p. 162). Podcast could be used to assist with pronunciation and vocabulary. They could be used to learn to speak any foreign language. In addition, it was mentioned that podcasts could help any students by listening to lectures as a review for a test.


So many ideas, so much to learn from Web 2.0: New Tools, New Schools, I am happy I purchased my own copy to have as a resource.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I am so glad that you are finding the book useful. I think it is very powerful as a map for what 21st century schools need to be. Also for ESL and pronunciation issues, check out Voice Thread. there are some good vocabulary examples there.

Ann