Thursday, July 24, 2008

Week 6, Thing 13

I created a del.icio.us account several weeks ago and like that I can access my bookmarks anywhere that I am online. I can easily see this tool for research assistance. The topic being researched can be searched for on del.icio.us. Once you have some results, you can look at the other tags connected to the results that are useful and to give you ideas on other tags to search for with that topic. Reading comments left by others for the various sites may help determine if the site would really be useful for your needs.



I could see libraries using social bookmarking sites to teach students about how to think of other terms (tags) to search for when researching. User comments could also be reviewed and talked about such just because the comment is there, doesn’t mean it is accurate. Libraries could also have their own accounts for sites that they want students to use and ones that are relevant to libraries.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love having my del.icio.us search as a sidebar in my Firefox. I have stopped bookmarking to my favs except for the things I use daily. Got to love it.

I like the idea of using it to talk about accuracy and thinking of other search terms. This would be a good one for the Wiki.

Ann