Monday, July 14, 2008

Week 4, Thing 8

I used RSS a few years ago when it was first becoming popular, but for some reason I let it go by the wayside. I have been living in Alaska for over a year now and have no television. I was just saying to someone the other day that what I really miss is the news. I do listen to the radio sometimes and I occasionally looked at a news site online. With RSS I can choose the news sites I like and quickly look at the headlines to see if I want to read more.


I chose to use Google Reader and selected some of its recommended news feeds and fun feeds. I was pleased to see the Colbert Report videos, Daily Show videos, and The Onion included (I used to read The Onion weekly) in the fun feeds. I was on the NPR site (www.npr.org) earlier today and returned to add a couple of feeds from that site. Finally I went CNN.com and added the headlines as feed. I should be able to keep up with the news now.


RSS could be used in libraries to keep track of the latest releases and reviews, technology, and issues. It could also be used to help students keep up-to-date on topics they are researching. Podcasts, a form of RSS, can enrich library lessons. For instance, They Might Be Giants has a free weekly Podcasts from their CD/DVD here comes the ABCs. After reading an ABC book one of these Podcasts could be played for the students. I know there are many ways RSS can be used in schools and libraries and will think of others as a use RSS and read what others have blogged about.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I know that I would never be able to keep track of all the class blogs without RSS.....on the other hand, I can see that it could be overwhelming. I do like the fact that you can preview the posts on Googlereader to decide if you actually want to go read them.

Ann